Communications Manager (Chinese/English)
Communications Manager (Chinese/English)
GreatFire is an organization that monitors censorship and promotes free speech online, particularly in China. We are united by a belief in universal rights to access information and the ability to use technology to defend these rights. We offer flexible working hours, competitive pay, and a collaborative working environment. Our entire team works remotely.Role Purpose
We are seeking somebody who is fully bilingual in English and Chinese (simplified) to manage our social media channels, grow our audiences, and establish the organization as an authoritative voice on censorship issues. This person will help us strategically guide our existing social media channels, as they continue to grow in importance for our organization both internally and externally.
- Manage the strategy and growth of GreatFire’s Twitter accounts. This includes overseeing the creation of daily posts, content calendars, monitoring engagement, and analyzing metrics.
- Work collaboratively with the team to identify, adapt, and/or create social media content in support of organizational priorities, ensuring our social media platforms are doing a good job of covering current issues, generating visits to our website, and helping the organization become an authoritative voice in select topics.
- Generate and schedule content on a daily basis, in at least two languages. In addition, manually curate and promote selected content on our social media channels.
- Monitor comments across all accounts and respond in a timely manner.
- Monitor news media to discover instances of others using content from our platforms or social media.
- Generate regular reports that show engagement and growth in online communities, and make recommendations to improve performance.
- Collaborate with colleagues from across the organization to integrate social media and digital strategies and tactics into broader strategic campaigns.
- Liaise with partner organizations and journalists on communications efforts.
- Contribute to the creation of blogs, graphics, short videos, and other online content.
- Review and keep up with social media trends and best practices. Identify opportunities to innovate and experiment with new tools, tactics, and approaches to advance our work.
Qualifications:Education and Qualifications
- Bilingual English and Chinese (simplified)
- Minimum of three years of professional social media management experience
Knowledge, skills and ability
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English and simplified Chinese
- Solid experience using Twitter for progressive campaigns.
- Understanding of social media algorithms, and metrics
- Excellent interpersonal skills, judgment and tact in dealing with confidential information
- Familiarity with Canva, or any other design tool.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and be creative and resourceful. This includes researching and proposing solutions and proactively problem-solving when issues arise while also understanding the power of working in teams.
- Strong project management skills. The ability to tackle complex projects, break them down into smaller pieces, and meet and prioritize deadlines in a constantly developing environment.
What we would like (preferred qualifications)
- Experience managing a social media account with a significant following.
- Knowledge of secure communications and privacy practices.
- Familiarity with tools like Facebook Creator Studio, Business Manager, and Ads Manager, Twitter Media Studio, and others.
- Experience with Mailchimp and SurveyMonkey.
- Experience working in an advocacy organization, especially in a communications or social media capacity.
- Work will be conducted on a remote basis. Candidates can be based anywhere.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural work environment and commitment to equal opportunities and non-discrimination.
- Commitment to our mission, core values and objectives.
Required Application Materials
Interested candidates should send a cover letter explaining your interest in the position, including a description of any relevant life or work experience as well as a resume to email@example.com. Candidates can apply anonymously and are encouraged to do so from a ProtonMail account. Additional information may be requested during the application process.
We are a global human rights organization and consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status.
We value applicants with diverse backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences.
All our team members work anonymously and use secure communication methods and we require the candidate to understand these safety measures.
Salary range is $18-$25/hour for up to 20 hours per week.
To apply for this position, please submit the above information to firstname.lastname@example.org.